Sloan and I went down to scenic Moab (next to Arches National Park) for a little trip with the Clarks (Paul and Jen). I'll begin by taking a few questions from the audience about our winter trip to Moab:
- Was it cold? Yes. Freezing. And snowy.
- But isn't Moab in the desert? Yes. I don't even know what the meaning of that word 'desert' is anymore if it doesn't mean 'always hot.' It's a dead word to me. DEAD.
- Were you personally confused/enraged to discover it wasn't hot when you got there? Yes.
- Did no one check the weather and tell you that Moab was going to be cold? Yes, everyone did. But I still refused to actually believe it until I felt the wretched sting of winter on my own skin. And...after we got there, I believed it. Because I felt the wretched sting of winter on my own skin.
- Did you whine a lot, because you're kind of a whiner when it is cold. WELL IT SOUNDS LIKE YOU ANSWERED YOUR OWN QUESTION.
- Was hiking on the slickrock kind of sketchy since it was covered in ice? Yes.
- Where you really freaked out because you thought you were going to fall off of any of the numerous icy precipices that you traversed, but you tried to act cool and nonchalant about it so Paul and Jen would think you were hardcore? OMG IT'S LIKE YOU WERE THERE!
- Did everyone manage to only fall about 2 times during the whole trip, but you still fell like every five minutes? Even on the easy hikes? Ah, I see what you're doing now. You're mocking me. Let's just move on. Here are some fotoz Paul took: