Friday, January 8, 2010

Not Everything About Me Can Be Sexy

Heeeey, friends. News Flash: I walk funny. EVERYONE KNOWS THAT. My feet stick out like a duck. I broke my ankle playing competitive volleyball in high school. Dad didn’t believe that it wasn’t broken = I didn’t go to the doctor. Healed a little crooked. So my left foot sticks out even more (think, like…75 degrees). Plus, it doesn’t help that I have big feet for my size, making me look even more clownish. And, because I walk with my feet out, people always ask if I’m a dancer (apparently ballerinas walk like ducks, too). This renews my shame every time since I have to answer that no, my stupid walk isn’t due to my pursuit of any fine art.

In Washington, we went with the family to a sand spit, which took a small hike to get to. On the way back up the trail, I was in front. My sister-in-law, Mikyn, started laughing from behind.

Julia: turning around What?

Mikyn: giggle Huh? Nothing.

Julia: What? Do I have something on my butt?

Sloan: She’s laughing because you walk like a total freak.

Julia: Oh come on! It’s uphill! I’m tired!

Sloan: You’re sticking your feet out almost completely sideways. And you’re swinging your whole body with each step.

Julia: My legs are short! I have to use my body’s momentum to take big steps!

Sloan: I’ve seen plenty of short people walk uphill. They don’t look like Quasimodo.

A few days later, back in Utah (where everyone is a dancer), I was approached in the grocery store by a girl my age.

Girl My Age: Do you dance?

Julia: annoyed Well…yes. Yes, I do.

GMA: What do you do? Pointe?

Julia: No. Exotic.

GMA: Oh…cool….

She walked away embarrassed, I walked away triumphant (even if duckish).

OKAY, that’s not how it really went. It was more like this:

Girl My Age: Do you dance?

Julia: annoyed Yes. Yes, I do....Okay, no. I just walk like a duck.

GMA: Oh...cool...

Me - 0
Stupid Duck Walk - 1

4 comments:

  1. I love you stupid duck walk. I even, at one point in my fabulous life, tried to integrate the stupid duck walk, but it went more like awakward orangutan trying to walk like a stupid duck. So I quit.

    Hannah has the hip-swaying waddle. I love it. Sometimes I jsut watch her cute little meanders.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Juju,
    You have always walked like a duck. But the cool thing is, you totally pull it off! I've noticed that I too walk like a duck(and so does dad), though apparently I'm not cool enough for people to ask if I am a dancer. oh well, I guess we are all domed to walk the freakishly duck-ish walk.

    oh and Quasimod couldn't walk like that even if he tried!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi!!! I don't know where I've been but I definitely need to be following your blog. I miss you guys!

    And this isn't a positive thought, but wait till you're pregnant, it will be even worse!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ditto to Ryanne's comment. Also, your feet are not that freakishly large. Have you seen mine?

    ReplyDelete