Sunday, March 7, 2010

Can You See the Irony?


HEY EVERYBODY IT'S ME JULIA AND I THINK YOU SHOULD JUST STOP COMPLAINING SO MUCH. YOU ARE STRESSING ME OUT.
Regarding the blog entries/Facebook statuses/comments complaining about trivial things: what a waste of communicative information that can be. I read too many blogs written by (mostly women, yeah I said it) about how they feel ugly/dumb/ripped off by the electric company for a seven dollar fee. I want to read your writing because I want to share your life. You have opportunities that belong uniquely to you, so share the meaningful parts. Privately handle your trivialities with the least amount of emotion as possible. YOU WILL FEEL A LOT BETTER.
I think there is a common misconception about online personas. Maybe people really believe that the most interesting thing to write is something angry or sad like "Kathy feels the fingers of loneliness wrapping around her throat" or "Jenny is so mad at the neighbors for parking in her spot!!!!!" But those are fleeting and barely worth the effort it took to type. I want to hear about your lovely day, the interesting and meaningful parts of your life, not how annoyed you are with the cost of your car insurance. I want to watch and understand how your life-philosophies morph and grow more complex with the meaningful experiences you have. And if you are going to talk about stupid stuff, at LEAST do it with a self-awareness that will contribute to your overall life understanding.
Yes, there is a difference between mock-complaining and real complaining. Know that difference, and that will set you free!
Now, pummel me with your comments/concerns!

9 comments:

  1. I hate it when people complain about other people complaining.

    Sorry, couldn't resist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I am so glad that I am not one of THOSE people. (snubbed nose in the air).
    Seriously though....I will be more conscious of this for your sake although I am not even sure if you read my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Richard: Hence the title.

    Katie: You go out and get some, grrrrrl. You're blog is nice, you're too creative/introspective to be a complainer on there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry, I know you've got a great point- but- I just can't think past that fabulous (giggle) picture.

    The hi-rrs are a-rive....with the sound of music....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe everyone is mock complaining, but it's just hard to catch because no one's using the standard html sarcasm tags.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hurt my big toe but it was an eye opening experience because I really appreciate the other one that doesn't hurt.

    ReplyDelete