Friday, March 19, 2010

Superstition

This morning, on the way to work, I stopped at the grocery store for some gum and another weekly supply of apple cider. Yep, I drink apple cider at work...pretty lumberjack of me.

Cashier Lady: Okay, that'll be $6.66. Oh my...that can't be a good sign. Would you like to throw in another pack of gum or something to change the total?
Julia: chuckle Oh, no. I think I'll be fine. I've got my rosary beads in the car.
Cashier Lady: genuinely concerned Are you sure? You're actually the first person I've had who didn't want to change their total when it came out to 666.
Julia: Really? It's okay, I'm sure I'll be fine.

I mean, seriously guys? Everyone else that this woman has served in Orem, Utah has reacted to this type of situation with serious concern? Whomp whomp is what I say to that. Or, at least, is what I said to that. Until outside of the store, about five steps from my car, I tripped and fell over.
Don't get me wrong, I trip ALL OF THE TIME, the devil doesn't need to help me with that. But generally, what I lack in body awareness, I make up for in reflexes. I always catch myself long before I even start to go down. Like a ninja. But not this time, noooooo not this time. With a bag in one hand, and a purse in the other, my body could not decide which one to sacrifice (aka drop) as I lost my balance. So, clutching both bags with white knuckles, I hit the ground hard. It probably looked like the hot hand of evil itself had shoved me to the ground.
Falling on my face sucked, obviously, but BIG DEAL, right? A stupid coincidence involving six dollars and sixty-six cents. I started to get up and look around to make sure no one saw me. And YEAH, no one did see me! Including the dude who was swinging his truck in to the same empty parking space in which I had just face planted/was still lying in.
It was still pretty dark outside, I was wearing all black, and as THE DEVIL'S LUCK WOULD HAVE IT, his headlights weren't on. But since I had just fallen, my body was in hyper awareness mode and I scrambled out of the way (ninja). Unfortunately, the loyalty my hand had shown to my grocery bag when I had fallen 3 seconds earlier was now gone, and the bag was left on the ground. To be run over by this poor dude who screeched to a halt and looked completely freaked out when he saw some little person roll out from in front of his moving vehicle. Dramatic...that's how the situation felt.
In some ways, I'm glad that this happened right after I got the devil-talk from my cashier, because I was more annoyed than freaked out that my luck appeared to be actually affected by that STUPID CASH TOTAL.
The driver of the truck, on the other hand, looked like he was going to puke when he got out of his car, he was pretty shaken up. After assuring him that he didn't hit me (not even a little), I was fine, and that I didn't blame him for not seeing a person LYING DOWN in a parking spot, I went on to work.
And so far, things seem normal (knock on wood). Take THAT Beelzebub! You can't bring me down, son! Ha!

5 comments:

  1. that was pretty dramatic jules. i am glad you are ok, and that the devil did not best you. i probably wouldn't have changed the total either!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahaha this made me snort. In a very concerned sort of way, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man, I can just imagine how scared the truck guy was! I'm glad you had quick reflexes and Sloan still has his wife:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like a ninja. It runs in the family.

    ReplyDelete