Monday, November 15, 2010

I Wrote the Word "Blog" 17 Times.

I don't really talk about my blog on my blog (aka meta-blogging) because...well...I don't ever have anything to say about it existentially. It just is. And that's okay.

I think Albert Markovski said it best when he addressed a rock he found on the ground: Nobody sits like this rock sits. You rock, rock. The rock just sits and is. You show us how to just sit here and that's what we need. 


I feel that way about this blog.


However, something odd is happening lately. People have been going out of their way to tell me that they don't read my blog. Now, this makes me happy in the sense that I must be approachable enough that people can unsolicitedly tell me that they do not read my blog. I really value candid people and I don't assume anyone reads this besides my family.

However...I have an ip tracker, which means plainly that I already know if you read my blog or not. And when someone tells me they don't read it, but I know they actually stop by the page a few times a week, I wonder if that means people feel uncomfortable talking to me.

Don't get me wrong, I am the queen of face-saving. There have been many times when I have forwarded my nonchalance in true hipster fashion by catching on to the latest anti-trend. I pretend like I hate things like Banana Republic and Tom Clancy books. I ironically eat at Denny's, I wear uncomfortably tight pants and geriatric sweaters. So, honestly, no need to tell me you don't read my blog, because I agree that blogs are so uncool! They are the worst!! Even though the odds are if I know you in any way, I read yours.

I have a feeling that my mom and anyone else over 30 won't understand what I'm talking about. "Why would someone tell you they don't read your blog when they really do? That seems silly!" I'll give an example: I know a person who is very self-aware. He/She likes Salinger and  horn-rimmed glasses. Once, while I was hanging out with this friend, he/she referenced a story that I had written on my blog, but quickly followed it up in a dismissive tone, "I mean, I don't read your blog. Someone else told me about the story." However, I know that he/she hits up the blog almost daily (WHICH IS NORMAL AND FINE, I DO THIS WITH MANY BLOGS BELONGING TO PEOPLE I DON'T KNOW AT ALL). This happens to me a lot if the blog ever comes up in conversation, which is not often (I mean it's not like I'm paying my friends some sort of  30% straight commission to make mention of my blog in their daily conversations, and then following up on their leads with a phone call and written report. Ha! That's insane!)

So I just want you guys to know some things. It's okay if you read this. It's okay if you don't. It's okay if you print out each entry and place it in a leather binder titled "Julia and Sloan 4 Life." It's okay if it's just a manila envelope. It's okay if you aren't reading this right now. It's okay if you don't even know what the internet is used for. It's all okay. When it comes to my accepting and loving people, I care much more about things like their physical attractiveness and annual income than whether they take an interest in my blog.

20 comments:

  1. I read it. I think it's weird that I read it (we were in the same ward, but never really talked, eventhough I LOVED your visiting teaching story, and I worked with Sloan at Sundance for a couple years, but beyond that we're not so close that you'd tell me these stories of your own free will), but I think your blog is super funny, so I do. I mean, I don't.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie, this is very brave of you. If you hadn't been cut out of our ward, I would've probably told you almost all of these stories by now, whether you wanted to hear them or not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am reading your blog right now. But then, I will switch to an MSN article about how to communicate better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i read it. proudly in fact. and i like to think i would have heard these stories first-hand had i not moved away. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am taking great offense to this post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will admit it...I love to read your blog because it always makes me laugh.
    Especially the video game blog...I think Jory and I have had that conversation almost word for word.
    Sloan reminds me of Jory a little.
    and yes...so what if I do have every blog costumed framed around my house. So what...if I wake up in the middle of the night reading your blogs over and over again.
    It's not weird that I have a sign on my door that says, Go team Sluia. Right?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kara: You would have.

    Regen: I'm sorry, I fell asleep reading your comment. Repeat?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I totally read your blog. Its been awhile. You can track that if you'd like but... I do like to stop in and read your wit. :) Also I agree physical attrativeness is much more important.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I read your blog. We worked on Inscape together. Which means we weren't really friends... Should this confession make me feel relieved? Because I just feel creepy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. dang i must fit into the over 30 category because i think i must rave almost "stalkerishly" about how much i love your blog. from now on i will keep it cool.

    when i vt you on monday i will make sure to let you know, "oh you have a blog? i didn't even know. i'm not really the blogging type - oh you are???? sad."

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ha! What a GREAT way to get people to respond!!
    Is it delurker day?

    ReplyDelete
  12. i understood this. but its not like i read your blog or anything

    ReplyDelete
  13. IT'S OKAY. CONCERNINGLY, I AM HARDLY EVER CREEPED OUT.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Haha, I just love you Jules, thanks for always making me laugh, and for the good advice, I'll have to start giving Jared noogies! :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. What do you have against people over 30?

    ReplyDelete
  16. I totally blog stalk you. Not even ashamed. There, I said it. I'm a creeper.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I met you one time at Lauren Bingham's birthday.
    I don't read your blog, but today I did because I clicked on it from Lauren's blog.
    But I will admit to you that I read it today.
    And may again in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I read your blog and I am a total stranger! I don't even remember how I came across it (friend of a friend of a friend probably), but you totally crack me up so I have kept reading. I often share with my husband and say "See! Other people are like this too!"...While I find that comforting, he finds it alarming that I am stalking strangers on the internet.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You don't really know me, but we used to gestate in the same womb. Not at the same time, though (LOL!!!!)

    Well, anyway, your blog is great. Sometimes I feel like your my best friend, except for the you not knowing me part. I figure if I just keep following you around, we'll bump into each other sometime, which would be awesome. In the store the other day you got the frozen corn, but really the canned corn tastes the same and it's cheaper. Plus yesterday you had a pretty cute outfit that you ruined with an outdated scarf. See? You need me around! I would have mentioned it, but I thought it might weird you out in person, since we haven't met, or anything. Here it feels so much more natural, though.

    ReplyDelete