Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Dear Rodney Dangerfield

My name is Julia Rehder and I am a young, smart, and good medium looking woman who has a lot of potential. Throughout my life, I have had many people tell me that I am so funny and that I should be a professional comedienne. Here is a list of just a few of my fans:
  • my friend Kirie
  • my old boss Magarita
  • my mother 
  • your mother (joke!)
I am hoping that you can share some of your comedy secrets with me, as I am trying to build up a solid foundation of jokes before I try to make it in showbiz. So tell me, where do you get your inspiration? Whenever I sit down to write funny things, I end up staring at my blank notepad for a while, then standing up to stretch, then trying to listen to the neighbors through the air vents, then eating a personal-sized watermelon, and then back to not writing any jokes! I am not getting anywhere with this method.

I first wrote an email to Gallagher asking for advice, but all I got was this in reply:


It was just, like, sent as an attachment. I don't think he knows that this is not the same as sending someone an autograph through the mail.

So then I wrote to Sinbad. He told me that every day when I write, I should use a comedy prompt to get things going, but I didn't really find it useful. No good feedback.
So, Mr. Dangerfield, I come to you seeking advice. How do you write jokes? And although I have heard from many reliable sources that you have been dead for six years, I figured I'd see if you could carve out some time for me anyway. Thank you for reading this!

Peace and Blessings,
Julia M. Rehder

2 comments: