Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Julia "Yawnfest" Rehder

Recently I have had lots of people (one person) tell me that lots of their friends (one friend) read my blog and want to meet me in real life! Unfortunately, this was not exciting to hear because it forced me to confront the fact that I am not funny in real life. I mean, I'm okay funny, but not life of the party funny. I may sound really clever and keen and beautiful and irresistible on the internet, but in real life, I kind of just yammer on about everything until I inevitably cross a line by bringing up genocide or talking about that rash that's been giving me trouble.

AND those rare times when I DO think of a joke while talking to someone, I get too excited and blow the whole thing by shouting out the punchline before I'm even done with the set up (see example below).

OB/GYN: Okay, Julia, good morning. Go ahead and step on the scale--
Julia: SHOULDN'T YA BUY ME DINNER FIRST!? HA!
OB/GYN: Um...huh?
Nurse: I don't think you wanted to say that until we got to the pap smear.

Comedy is all about timing. And 99% of the time, I have terrible timing (the one percent was this time I had to repeat my joke twice to my grandma and so it was more her fault than mine because seriously Nanny just get a hearing aid).

So to anyone wondering, I've made this chart to help you pre-determine how entertaining I would be in conversation.

On the Internet
In person
In person while 
dealing with Ward

2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! You are the funniest person I know! IN PERSON!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When we came to see you, I felt like I should have all these jokes on hand to use to impress you. Because you're funny.
    And you're funny in real life. My favorite is when you talk to yourself or children in an accent, which you don't do on the blog- because that's confusing.

    ReplyDelete