Friday, August 2, 2013

Ten Things Women Should Stop Doing (But Probably Won't)

There's a lot of rejection in the writing business, especially when you're a bad writer like me. It hurts to hear the words, "Unfortunately, we are unable to accept your submission for publication..."

Don't these people KNOW WHO I AM? I spent forty minutes on this! GIVE ME SOME MONEY AND PRINT MY STUFF.

Still no? Well, okay...no, no it's not a big deal. I appreciate your time. You have a really nice office *picks up picture frame* Are these your children? They're really beautiful. What a beautiful family. So, you're still sure that this article isn't a good fit? Okay, I totally understand. No need to explain! Different strokes for different--*jumps up, swipes papers off of desk, runs out door* Ha! Sucker!!! I DON'T NEED YOUR CRAPPY ONLINE MAGAZINE! I'll just post it on my blog, which has ONE HUNDRED FOLLOWERS!

TEN THINGS WOMEN SHOULD STOP DOING (BUT PROBABLY WON'T)
By Julia Rehder
Note: Before you read this, you should know that as an average American woman myself, I also do all of these things. And I, too, should stop doing them (but probably won't).
Another Note: If you recognize some of this content, it's because I plagiarized it from a previous blog post of mine, which actually means it's not plagiarism but nice try J. Edgar Hoover.

1. Stop Idolizing Marilyn Monroe (for the wrong reasons)
When my elementary school teacher asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up, I didn't answer "I wanna be pretty!" because, while that was true, even as a little kid I knew to be embarrassed of that answer. (And besides the real answer was trash man because hello hanging on to the back of a truck!) Marilyn Monroe was an icon for beauty and she was a mediocre actress, but that was about it. Why, decades and decades later, do we still hang her poster in our rooms and quote her continuously on Pinterest? She changed nearly every part of herself (her name, her hair, her body) to make Hollywood happy and she led a miserable, tumultuous life full of self-doubt and failed relationships. Only later did we find out what a creative and deep-thinking woman she could be because those were not the parts of her that were as valued, and still aren't today.

2. Stop Shaving Your Armpits
When I had my first baby a couple of years ago, between the hospital stay and the postpartum home recovery, I neglected to shave my legs and arm pits for about ten days. And let me tell you: my armpits have never felt better. What used to be itchy, irritated and dry pits had become smooth, happy skin beneath a soft meadow of (gross-looking, but great-feeling) pit hair. Shirt sleeves didn't chafe, deodorant didn't crackle, and I didn't feel as sweaty because nature's own pit stain defenses were in place. Good gracious, it was so liberating. But like most other people, I quickly went back to the daily razor burn of social acceptance.

3. Stop Thinking Men Notice Your Clothes and/or Makeup
For the most part, they don't. So only do those things for yourself, not for them.

4. Stop Not Considering Work in the Software Industry
When I first came onto the software scene, I was an English graduate who was apprehensively trying out technical writing. Like most women, I was pretty convinced that I'd go nowhere and that I'd hate it since I had only a moderate amount of technical knowledge and would feel totally dumb and overwhelmed. Well, it turns out that everyone I worked with/for was just so happy that I was even there to ask questions in the first place (even if those questions were things like “So...that's the power button, right?”). I wasn't treated like a some dumb girl who was unrelatable and therefore useless. I was just another person on the project. Also, software development is such a vastly flexible and stimulating industry, it's a shame that more women don't consider this an option, as it can be especially conducive to the stay at home parent lifestyle. The industry is so full of people excited and willing to tell you everything you need to know. I don't think I'll ever be an engineer myself because I'm happy working in the gap between tech and writing, but I would've never even gotten to this point if I had just looked at the societal influences of women-in-tech news.

5. Stop Taking Thirty Years to Back Out of A Parking Spot
WOMEN, YOU CAN BACK OUT OF A PARKING SPOT MUCH FASTER IF YOU TURN THE WHEEL SOONER. If you cut the wheel hard right as your front tires reaches the back tires of the car parked next to you, you'll turn out faster and rest assured you (probably?) won't hit that other car. No more of this “back straight out of the spot until your car is completely cleared, then attempt a five point turn to change direction" business! It's embarrassing!

6. Stop Underestimating Your Physical Strength
I've heard people talk about old man strength before. You know, how old dudes look kinda out of shape, but will nonchalantly snap a two-by-four in half over their knee while doing yard work or whatever. Well, there is a little-known woman equivalent of that: mom strength. Yes, having a kid has definitely made me look more out of shape; everything on my body is sagging and jiggly, but I swear I'm three times stronger now. That's because motherhood can actually be incredibly physically demanding. Having to hold on to a flailing 30 pound kid while pushing your shopping cart through the grocery parking lot takes major upper body strength, as does pinning down a squirmy kid to change their diaper. I even once had to restrain my kid who was mid-Tasmanian devil tantrum with one arm while I caught and righted a falling clothes rack (full of prom dresses) with my other arm in Dillard's. My trapezoids were sore for days! Yes, like an old man, women bodies can be easily underestimated. Now when I look at any pre-baby woman's body, I think two things: 1. Man, I wish I looked that good. 2. I bet I could bench press her.

7. Stop Hating Sluts
Why does slut have to be a bad word?! Let sluts do what they want, they aren't trying to hurt you! Besides, if those women didn't enjoy promiscuity, then the men that they are currently satisfying would be bothering the rest of us and may even be forced to go door-to-door. Somebody's gotta do it, and it sure as heck won't be me! Why not just applaud them for being on the front lines?

8. Stop Assuming You Can't Be Funny
I know this is hard to do. I, like a lot of women, have the tendency to simply clutch my pearls and giggle when I'm with the dudes as they joke around. But as I'm feigning demure woman-ness, I'm actually coming up with awesome burns that I'm just too embarrassed to throw out there because it might not sound as funny coming from a chick. However, one element of comedy is delivery something unexpected, and there are a lot of things that people don't expect to come out of a woman's mouth. Take advantage of that! Women like Carol Burnett, Bea Arthur, and Amy Poehler (I could go on and on) are great examples of this. Sure, there are other woman (and, of course men) who take this too far, and lean on the crutch of vulgarity to do the heavy lifting for them, but I'm not talking about them. You CAN be a lovely and proper and funny woman. You CAN have it all!

9. Stop Wearing Heels
They hurt! They're bad for you! The good ones are crazy expensive! High heels are the most unnecessary of unnecessity. Not mention, they make you slow and vulnerable.

10. Stop Looking at Entertainers for Anything Besides Entertainment
(This one applies to men, too.) I'm all about celebrity news. I love it. I feed off of their personal dramas, I fawn over pictures of their babies, and I used to even listen to their life advice, until I realized that was akin to asking my dog for writing tips. Why the heck am I giving any modicum of relevancy to Lady Gaga's opinion on gay rights or Gwenyth Paltrow's thoughts on carbs? Why is anyone listening to Jenny McCarthy and her terrible parenting ideas? Whether right or wrong, these people are not the professionals on those subjects. And it pains me to say this (because I really love pop music and hip hop), but pop music and hip hop are especially terrible places to turn for social commentary. Have you heard what Jay Z has to say about women in his lyrics? And have you heard what Kanye West has to say about, well, anything? Sadly, although both grew up facing the same challenges, when it comes to the plight of urban youth, Jay and Ye are now more out of touch with that than Paris Hilton. Even one of the greatest cross-over entertainers/civil rights activists, Harry Belafonte, recently said that today's hip hop artists are squandering their chances to encourage positive social change to the very demographic that they struggled to escape from. Don't give these people the credibility they don't deserve. At best, most entertainers are hypocrites, and at worst, they're a-holes.

And that's the end of my list! Man, this will probably get so many hits that those yahoos over at Aunt Janet's Sewing Tips Blog will be kicking themselves over my rejection! REVENGE IS SWEET AND IS ALSO A DISH BEST SERVED COLD.

7 comments:

  1. I love this! Thank you for saying that women CAN be funny. And that "Ye" has nothing of value to say...ever...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Found this contradicting. Dont hate sluts cause they ain't doing anyting to you? So the same should apply to women who wear heels and place value on how they look. What is the difference? There both using there bodies to gain power and to please others? And its not okay for someone idolizes Marilyn for using her body to gain fame (losing weight, being sexualized) but its okay to be a slut? I'm sure you think your feminist but you still have strong opinions of how a woman should act. That's not freedom. That's going from one extreme to another.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see how you'd find this contradicting. I don't mean for this to be taken too seriously, and you're right, if I were to follow my own previous advice, I shouldn't be bothered by people who wear heels. I'm not bothered by people who wear heels, I'm just making a joke that life would be easier if we just eliminated them. And yes, I think it's better to be a slut (assuming that is what one enjoys and feels comfortable doing) than to feel inadequate and self-loathing enough to change one's body for fame like Marilyn when it didn't end up making her happy. I don't consider myself a feminist, mainly because I'm not really smart enough to have nailed down a great definition of what feminism is and how I apply it. You're right though, this isn't very consistent with a philosophy. All good points :)

      Delete
  3. omg please for the love of god post another something delightful to get me through finals

    seriously these are killing me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is lame. gross.

    ReplyDelete